NOTICE OF ELECTION OF OFFICERS FOR THE OPTOMETRY UNIT BOARD 2021
Nominations are now open for the following Optometry Unit Board Officers:
- District Representative 1 (Santa Clara; Santa Theresa; Mountain View; Milpitas; Redwood City; Gilroy)
- District Representative 3 (Walnut Creek/Park Shadelands; Martinez; Antioch; Pleasanton; Livermore; Vallejo; Napa; Fairfield; Vacaville)
- District Representative 5 (South Sacramento; Elk Grove; Sacramento; Roseville; Davis; Point West; Folsom; Rancho Cordova)
- District Representative 7 (Optometric Assistant – At Large)
In accordance with Article VII of the Optometry Unit Constitution, nominations must be submitted by letter signed by not less than ten (10) members of the Unit in good standing. Such letters shall be filed with the Secretary-Treasurer of the ESC Local 20 Executive Board and must be received on or before Wednesday, September 30, 2021.
Because of COVID-19 social distancing and hygiene guidelines, it is not advisable to encourage the person-to-person collection of signatures or the sharing of material that could increase the risk of contagion transfer from one member to another. To avoid this risk, the nomination procedure has been changed to allow for the electronic collection and submission of signatures on nomination forms. Therefore, we will follow the procedure outlined below:
- Candidates will download and fill out the nomination form. Nomination forms are available below or can be requested by emailing email@example.com.
- Candidates will scan and e-mail the form to the unit area members in good standing of their choice.
- Candidates can have their chosen unit area members in good standing add their signatures by printing out the form, signing it, then scanning or sending a photo of the signed form back to the candidate via e-mail – OR – a member may register their “signature” on the form by responding to the candidate’s email containing the nomination form stating, “I, _____, hereby sign the nomination form sent to me by __________” in the email message.
When practical, it is preferable for members to use their employer-issued email address for ease of verification. A personal email address is permitted when that personal email address is on file with the union.
- When the candidate has obtained at least ten (10) valid signatures of unit area members in good standing, the candidate may file those nomination forms via e-mail with the Union office at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “OUB Nomination Form for (name of office).”
The Union office will verify the membership status of the nomination signatures submitted by each candidate. If the minimum number of signatures (10) is submitted by the deadline, September 30, 2021, the nomination will be valid.
If an election is called for, ballots shall be sent to all members of the Optometry Unit in good standing no later than October 15, 2021. To be valid, ballots must be received on or before 5:00 p.m. on October 31, 2021.
Details of the duties and responsibilities of the officers are in the Constitution of the Optometry Unit.